Sunday, November 21, 2010

Super Easy Veggie Chili

This recipe was given to me by a friend years ago, and I finally made it when my sister was a vegetarian & visiting me. It is cheap, simple, pretty (it's quite colorful), and good. Of course, as with all chili, it's better after it sits in the fridge a few days. Enjoy!

1 TBSP vegetable oil
1 large onion, chopped
1 cup chopped bell pepper (mix of yellow and green)
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 TBSP brown sugar
1.5 TBSP chili powder
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp dried oregano
salt and pepper to taste
2 16oz cans stewed tomatoes, undrained
2 15oz cans black beans, rinsed & drained (I like Goya or Bush's best)
1 15oz can kidney beans, rinsed & drained
1 15oz can pinto beans, rinsed & drained

Heat oil in dutch oven over med-hi. Add onion, peppers, garlic; saute 5 mins or until tender. Add remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat & simmer 30 mins. Serves 8. This will be my healthy lunch this week as I prepare to pig out for Thanksgiving :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment