Friday, October 29, 2010

Chicken Marsala w/ Prosciutto

This is my classic standby meal - good for company or a weekend evening. It all started b/c I screwed up chicken marsala so bad that Keith told me I should never cook it again. Well, being the competitive person I am - of course - I transformed my "worst" meal into my best! I recommend serving it with some garlic bread and salad or make a simple penne drizzled with olive oil and parmesan cheese.

CHICKEN MARSALA

4 skinless, boneless, chicken breasts
all-purpose flour
salt and pepper
1/4 cup olive oil
1 package prosciutto (3-4 oz)
8 oz (1 package) mushrooms - crimini or porcini, stemmed and halved
1/2 c marsala wine
1/2 c chicken stock
2 TBSP unsalted butter

Either buy thin chicken breasts or put parchment paper over the chicken breasts and pound flat to 1/4 inch thickness with a meat mallet. Put the flour in a shallow pan; add salt and pepper and stir. Heat the oil over medium-high in a large skillet. When the oil is hot, dredge both sides of the chicken breasts and add to the oil. Cook for 3-5 mins on each side until golden. Only turn once. Remove chicken to a large platter in a single layer to keep warm.
Lower heat to medium & add the prosciutto to the drippings in the pan. Saute for a minute to render out some of the fat. Add mushrooms; saute til brown and moisture has evaporated -- about 5 mins. Season w/ salt and pepper. Pour marsala into pan & cook for a minute or so. Add chicken stock and simmer for a minute to reduce the sauce slightly. Stir in the butter and return the chicken to the pan; simmer gently for a minute or so to heat the chicken through. That's it. Serve the chicken, ladling the gravy on top. Delicioso!

No comments:

Post a Comment