Sunday, June 26, 2011

Mexican Quinoa

Well, it's been FOREVER since I've posted b/c: #1 - we only have 4 followers, and #2 - I'm been in a crazy funk and haven't been cooking since Keith left to Cuba in early May. However, I've pulled myself up by my bootstraps & decided to get on this cooking healthy thing I said I would do when Keith left. I also have a few friends who told me they READ the posts, they just don't FOLLOW. So....skeptically here is the first healthy recipe good enough to post.

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 tsp vegetable oil
  • 1/2 chopped onion
  • 1.5 cloves chopped garlic
  • 2/3 cup uncooked quinoa
  • 1 cup chicken broth
  • 1/2 tsp ground cumin
  • 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper or to taste
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 cup corn
  • 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
  1. Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the onion and garlic; saute until lightly browned.
  2. Mix quinoa into the saucepan and cover with chicken broth. Season with cumin, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes.
  3. Stir corn & black beans into the saucepan; continue to simmer about 5 minutes until heated through. Sprinkle with cilantro. [Good topped with a spoon of fresh salsa also.]
Super healthy and delish! I think this will be my lunch a few days this week. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Hey, Joni! This recipe sounds great! How many servings does this make?
    Thanks,
    Abby

    ReplyDelete